Drama is now one of the most popular subjects to follow at GCSE and A level. With so many students discovering a passion for drama it is important to know what opportunities are available when it comes to pursing a career.

Would be Performers have several options they can study drama at university or choose one of the top 23 drama schools in England that are members of the CDS.

Child performers maybe able to make the transition, from child actor to adult, without having to go to drama school. Though this is indeed rare, it is not impossible.

However, not everyone wants to be a performer some prefer to teach, so what training do you need. Well I spoke to one drama student who told me all about her journey from leaving

Blag Youth Theatre in Rickmansworth to landing a first class job in a secondary school in Hertfordshire, she also outlines other routes into becoming a drama teacher.

‘My passion for drama began in my early teens, when I joined Blag Youth Theatre. There I was able to expand my knowledge and experiment with improvisation and scripted pieces. It also gave me performance opportunities which confirmed my passion for the arts.

I left school with 3 A-levels (Theatre studies, Music and English Lit.) in 1998. I went on to do a three year degree in Drama and Theatre Studies and graduated in 2001. During the following 3 years I worked with a variety of different aged children running outdoor adventure activities. I then made the decision to become a secondary school teacher and to go back to university; so in 2004 I started a PGCE in drama at Chester University. This course took a year and was very hands-on with two teaching placements in different schools.

Once I completed this year I started as an NQT (Newly Qualified teacher) at a school in Hertfordshire – Once I had done one year at this school i was a fully-qualified teacher of drama!!

There are other routes into teaching:

If you make the decision before I did and know when you finish your A-Levels that  Dramacool  you want to be a teacher then you can do a 4 year course at University and become either a primary teacher or a secondary teacher with drama specialism.

If you have a drama degree already and wish to teach drama then you can either apply to do a PGCE, like me or a GTP. A GTP is a school based qualification where you work in a school for a reduced salary until you qualify.

If you have a degree in another subject then you can still become a drama teacher but may have to do a short course to convert your specialism.’